Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Steampunk Headpiece

I saw this feathered headpiece online and got the idea to try to make one for myself tonight but, Steampunk it up a bit... didn't turn out exactly how I imagined in some ways, but better in others...
The wide headband I used for it isn't sitting right on my head the way I wanted it to, but I'm going to keep trying to make it work.

I'm going to start off by showing my progress photos:

I used a combination of acrylic, enamel, and two different patina paints by Vintaj to age the clock hands and the clock faces using just a paint brush and a paper towel.

These are iridescent beetle wings I've been lucky enough to find at a local bead/jewelry supply shop.

I kept adding to it in stages till I felt like it had enough visual weight to it. I like how nicely it turned out.:)

Here's the head-band that I'm using as the base for this head-piece:

And lots of iridescent, black, rooster tail feathers:

Here's me trying it on:

I'll try to get some better lit photos later on of me wearing it...

And here it is on the styrofoam head:

If I can't get this to sit correctly on my head, I may end up taking it apart and instead using parts of it on my top hat for decoration.
-I'm not sure if it'll work any better on another headband...but I'm going to continue thinking on this. I'd love to keep it solely as a head-piece.