Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Peacock mask Commission WIP

I'm currently working on a Halloween-commission for a Peacock mask.

As each of my masks is hand-sculpted, each one is totally unique. I'm adding a few little embellishments that I hope the customer will like, but overall, it's going to look alot like the first Peacock mask I made.:)

Here are my beginning WIP photos. I've got some more that I'll be uploading soon, too.

Here is how it looks after I've removed it from it's base and cleaned up the edges a bit:
Photobucket


I've added the beak and some detailing at the bottom edge:
Photobucket

Photobucket


And the beginning stages of the feathers:
Photobucket

Photobucket


I'm going to be adding Peacock tail feathers and hopefully some other blue or green feathers soon, as well as faceted gems around the base of the beak.

Before I'm completely finished I'm considering adding on some eyelids...at least top lids, anyway.

Will update again soon.:)

7 comments:

  1. Do your masks shrink as they dry? I make homemade porcelain and it tends to shrink about 30% as it drys. I am working on my first mask. I was inspired by your work and can only hope to be half as good as you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say I can't wait to see the finished mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it must shrink as it dries, but I honestly don't notice it, so if it at all I'd say only 10 to 20%.

    When you've got your mask finished please send me a link. I love to see what other mask makers come up with.:)

    If you've got a DA acct. you should check out my mask-making community: http://Mask-Making-Artisans.deviantart.com

    Thanks so much for the comments!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. DA acct name is saffron Day Dreams. Hope to have pics of my mask soon. It's not the best but it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much will a maks like this weigh when itis finished?

    ReplyDelete
  6. JenW!
    When you do post photos of your mask, please let me know.

    Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandie:

    When I took this to the P.O. and had it weighed for shipping, it came up under 3lbs. and that includes the styrofoam head, the wooden base, the newspaper and bubble wrap, and the cardboard box itself.

    When I hold the finished mask in my hand it feels like it has a little weight to it, but when weighing it by itself, it's not even 3lbs. -if that.

    Thanks for the comment.:)

    ReplyDelete