Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Steampunk: Wings WIP -part 2

I finally got started on the wings for my Steampunk costume. The party has been post poned 'till the 12th now due to heavy snowfall this weekend.  So that gives me more time to get stuff finished and do a few more things I wanted to do.:)  



Lastnight I finished the 2nd wing frame -which I had been struggling with.  12g galvanized steel wire is a bitch to work with. It's good in that it holds it's shape wonderfully and can take a bit of weight, but it's really a pain to try to shape. Glad that part is done.:)





I had been intending to use this transparent copper cellophane combined with iridescent cellophane for my wings.     
-I have linoleum tiling for my diningroom floor and thought it would give a cool texture to my wings, so I ironed the two cellophane films together right on the floor....it's a cool, scale-like texture...but on my wings...I didn't like it at all.:/






I ended up literally ripping that off and just trashing it.  Instead, I'm going to go with metal screen mesh for the membrane of the wing.    Hopefully I won't kill my poor fingers on this.:/