Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Steampunk: Wing Pack WIP -part 1

As though I don't already have enough projects on my plate...I've gone and added another one to it. Lol!
As I was taking out the trash lastnight, I happened across this remote-control toy boat with turbine wheels on it...well, perhaps not wheels...anyway.....   got an idea and decided to nab this sucker up.





Looking at the bottom part I thought it would make an excellent Steampunk pack. Now...obviously, this is going to be a work-in-progress project for a while...but I'm going to do as much as I can to it before my up-coming Steampunk party.   
-I'm currently looking for tutorials on how to light up old vacuum tubes using battery operated light sources, like LED's.   And I've got a couple ideas already as to extra bits I'd like to add to this.

So not having a lot of time to waste, I got right to work tonight. I first started out by removing the top part....that involved nearly 20 screws, if not...I haven't actually counted them, but it sure looks near enough to 20.   There's some bits still inside, but they won't be a problem.





I'm hoping to fill up the inside with some foam to make it comfortable as this open part will rest against my back.  It's also going to house at least one battery pack for some electromagnetic tubing, the base of the wings, and whatever else comes to mind in the future.  

I started out with a matte black spray-paint base-

And then went over that with a textured copper spray paint meant to look like hammered metal:




I'm going to give that another coat before I'm all finished.  I want to follow that up with another coat of matte black and then wipe that mostly away to age this piece. 


 At some point in the future, I would love to build a leather harness to attach this to, but for now, I'll be attaching some simple fabric straps to it and wear it much like a back-pack.




4 comments:

  1. That's Cool! I love those creative moments when you see something and idea just hits you. I make gorgeous Masks too, mine adhere to your face so that you can wear your hair however you want without having to worry about silly strings to tie. If you get a chance check them out, I have some really cool steampunk photos https://www.etsy.com/listing/109433256/masquerade-mask-lacetattoo-for-halloween?ref=sr_gallery_30&ga_search_query=masquerade+mask&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_page=10&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=masquerade+mask

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely been having a lot of those moments of late and I'm loving it.:D

      Thanks for the link to your Etsy -definitely cute lace masks.:)

      Thanks so much for commenting, I really appreciate it!:D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to say hello and I'm so glad you like the new ghost video! Yes, definitely wouldn't like to meet one 'in person'! Your blog is fab, love your hats in particular and also your altar for Mabon - just stunning! Happy Halloween to you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for coming over and checking out my blog in return, I really appreciate it.:)

      And thanks on the Mabon altar -I need to get my rump in gear and start putting together my Samhain one...got some ideas already for it.:D
      Thank you about the hat -it's not perfect, I see where I made some mistakes, but for a first time try, I'm pretty proud of the overall affect and plan on doing some more after this one.:D Possibly even trying to sell them.:)

      Happy Halloween to you, too!:D

      Delete