Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Steampunk: Wing Pack WIP -part 1

As though I don't already have enough projects on my plate...I've gone and added another one to it. Lol!
As I was taking out the trash lastnight, I happened across this remote-control toy boat with turbine wheels on it...well, perhaps not wheels...anyway.....   got an idea and decided to nab this sucker up.

Looking at the bottom part I thought it would make an excellent Steampunk pack. Now...obviously, this is going to be a work-in-progress project for a while...but I'm going to do as much as I can to it before my up-coming Steampunk party.   
-I'm currently looking for tutorials on how to light up old vacuum tubes using battery operated light sources, like LED's.   And I've got a couple ideas already as to extra bits I'd like to add to this.

So not having a lot of time to waste, I got right to work tonight. I first started out by removing the top part....that involved nearly 20 screws, if not...I haven't actually counted them, but it sure looks near enough to 20.   There's some bits still inside, but they won't be a problem.

I'm hoping to fill up the inside with some foam to make it comfortable as this open part will rest against my back.  It's also going to house at least one battery pack for some electromagnetic tubing, the base of the wings, and whatever else comes to mind in the future.  

I started out with a matte black spray-paint base-

And then went over that with a textured copper spray paint meant to look like hammered metal:

I'm going to give that another coat before I'm all finished.  I want to follow that up with another coat of matte black and then wipe that mostly away to age this piece. 

 At some point in the future, I would love to build a leather harness to attach this to, but for now, I'll be attaching some simple fabric straps to it and wear it much like a back-pack.