Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Faery Queen Wings...

I generally like to take Work-In-Progress pics as I'm working on a project...but, with the first pair I made for Faire, I just didn't have the time nor did I think to do it.

So, in my last post you saw my "Faery Queen" fantasy-film wings.  *laughing*  Well, to begin...here was my original sketch for the wings I had intended to make:

 And these were inspired by this image by the amazing fantasy artist, Mr. Brian Froud:


 But this is actually what I came up with:


Not bad...but not what I had envisioned at all.  I wanted multiple wing-petals and all the extra twig growths that his wings are known for, etc.  In the end...this is the best I could do with the time I had and what materials I had left.   And while I could now go back and add to them...I actually think they look really good just as they are. I feel like to add anything more might somehow be too much and ruin them.
These wings are made using Fantasy Film and clear vinyl.     They came out really good for my first pair like this and with as large as they are, and I like them. Maybe one day I'll be able to make some good Froud-inspired wings. :D







Some pics taken outside on my balcony:







And me wearing them as the Faery Queen at my local Renaissance Faire:
The Middle Platte Renaissance Faire
of Casper, WY

-more pics of me wearing these wings can be seen in my "Post-Ren Faire" post before this one.


When I first made them I only used a combo of 14 and 16 gauge galvanized steel wire. These proved to be quite top-heavy and I couldn't get the top wings to stay up and erect, so they ended up being a bit floppy, as you can kind of see in the above pic. And them being floppy resulted in several people getting, what has come to be affectionately referred to as, "fairy bitch-slapped" quite often if they happened to be near me.      I have since gone back in and strengthened the top spine of both of the top wings with two layers of 12gauge wire each and that has done the trick. They now stand straight up, no more flopping around, etc.      They are a bit heavy, but still worth the wear.:)

I've since gone over them with some copper ink and my airbrush:


Was a little iffy on the copper shading...I see a few areas that need a little extra work, but it's now grown on me and I like them with the copper.:)